Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cathedral

What did you think of Carver’s sparse writing style? Did you find it easy to read, annoying, ugly, pretty, etc? How might you utilize what he does in your own writing?


I found Carver's writing style to be very easy to read. It wasn't the prettiest form of writing and was a bit repetative at times, but he kept his sentences short and simple. It was easy to create an accurate mental picture from the words he chose to use. When he was describing what a cathedral looks like to the blind man, I was picturing it in my head. I felt that his writing portrayed common confusions placed with blind people and it really got me to thinking about what it would be like to be blind.


He used a lot of emotions in the story such as confusion, ignorance, curiosity, etc. I think that it would be fun to write a story like this; showing an experience in a simple and less complex fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment