Friday, October 8, 2010

Op Eds

The first op ed i read was Facebook Relationship: It's Complicated. This piece was very interesting to me because of the fact that so much related back to me personally. She is discussing how facebook is such a huge part of our lives, whether you are a middle school student, college student, parent or grandparent. She uses ethos throughout the piece to get the point across to the reader that "we're stuck with facebook and may forever be trapped in a digital world of 'pokes' and 'likes'." Her opinion on the subject was very strong and for the most part negative. She explains how there are so many things she could be doing and would love to be doing, but instead it is more likely for her to be on the internet chatting away on facebook. I agree with this article, as much as I love facebook, I do realize that it might very well be a progressing problem in our society. We have become reliant on it in terms of communicating and finding people of our past.
The second piece I read was The Things I Think I Think: You Say Tomato, I Say Taste Bud Changer. The author despises tomatoes and includes information explaining that some tomato companies have made it so that while you are eating a tomato your taste buds change and are flipped upside down, increasing your desire. I didn't agree much with this article because I feel like he is using a large amount of persuasion, which is fine, but I do not think that the wool is being pulled over our eyes. I believe that I undoubtably do love tomatoes :)
Lastly, I read Sex Column: There's No 'I' In Threesome. The author of this article felt it to be acceptable to experience a connection and or start a relationship with more than one individual at a time. He believed that it was much better to experience as many people as possible as long as it's keeping you excited and "grinning." I felt it to be a bit ironic that a BOY/MAN would be the author of this particular piece. Hmmm..? :) But I did not agree with it at all. Cheating is cheating, and what this boy is writing about is portraying just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment